The professional who guides you through your real estate transaction will play a critical role in your success.
Smart consumers conduct agent interviews before making such an important decision, since asking key questions can enlighten you to an agent's qualifications. However, as you work to determine which agent will be the best fit for your needs, realize that they will also be sizing you up during this interview. You should be wary of agents who don’t ask you any questions at all. Good agents are as selective about their clients as you should be about finding the right agent.
So when you’re looking to buy or sell a home, what are some questions you should ask agents before choosing who to hire? Let’s cover a few.
1. How long have you been in the business? When dealing with what is likely the most massive asset in your life, you don’t want just anyone handling the fine details of your transaction. When you interview agents find out how long they’ve been in business, how many transactions they’ve handled, and what kind of mentoring they’re receiving if they are a newer agent.
2. What is your average list-to-sale ratio? If you’re a seller, this question will help you determine whether an agent has strong negotiation skills and will be able to bring you a high price.
3. What strategy will you use to best meet my needs? While some agents will merely place a home on the MLS and hope for buyers to come along, the right agent will utilize strategic marketing to maximize your listing’s potential.
4. Do you work with a professional photographer? Most agents will shoot pictures of your home with their cell phone or digital camera. This results in lower-quality photographs, meaning your home will appear less attractive online. It’s incredibly important to work with an agent who utilizes professional photography when marketing your home.
5. Will you provide references? A quality agent should be able to show that past clients have been pleased with their services.
6. Can I review documents? During any transaction, an agent will present you with a number of documents to sign. Agents should be comfortable letting you review these documents so that you don’t encounter any surprises down the line.
7. Can you recommend professional vendors? All top agents will be able to provide you with a list of professionals they recommend, whether you need a carpet cleaner, a plumber, a roofer, or any other contractor.
8. How much do you charge? A good agent can defend their commission rate if need be. If an agent’s services are truly worthwhile, their commission will be worth it, too.
9. What am I not asking you? As real estate professionals, agents should have a keen understanding of what buyers and sellers should look for in a Realtor. So they should be able to bring up any topics or commonly asked questions you might have missed.
If you have any other questions or would like more information, feel free to give me a call or send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you soon.